Sunday, March 20, 2011

A New Era?

I broke my Alaska coffee mug this morning.  I have been sipping my ritual morning cafine jump-start from it for several years.  It replaced my Seattle mug--one I purchased when Josh was in Children's Hospital way back in 1991 (I think!).  Both of these mugs were hand crafted and had just the right kind of handles to accommodate my misshapen arthritic fingers.The Seattle mug finally cracked itself to death and just fell apart.  In 1992, I bought the Alaska mug in Denali Park.  It has held the contents of my morning fix for quite a few years, since the demise of  the Seattle mug.  Today, it slipped from my hand.  Empty, thank heavens.  Panic!  Thus began a frantic search for a mug that (1) appealed to me (2) held ample amount of beverage and (3) had a handle these pathetic fingers could fit into comfortably.  I tried out my Chokecherry Festival mug--too big.  Then a mug I acquired from somewhere just because it was pretty.  Finally, I found my Chicago mug.  It is not hand-made pottery as the others were.  In fact I suspect it was made in China.  But the skyline of Chicago outlined with gold lines, that encircles the mug is so elegant.  As the name denotes, I acquired it in Chicago, but how, brings the most pleasant and fun filled memories.  That is a story for another day.  Right now I am wondering if a new coffee mug is a harbinger of new era in my life.  At this advanced age, there is not much I haven't already experienced, except for sky-diving.  I will just wait and see.  Maybe,  just maybe, a new great-grand baby?

2 comments:

  1. I went zip-lining last year, at the age of 62. My Mom was my model. She went para-sailing at 70, shaming my Dad into accompanying her on subsequent adventures - white water rafting on the Colorado, flying in a glider. She got her first computer in order to get on the Internet at 80. Keep it up.

    BTW, I reviewed a book today on my blog about a new image for Grandmas, Grandma & Me http://newgrandmas.com/books-games/new-grandmas-grandma-me-book-thursday/

    BBTW: I was born in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep 1991! hard to believe that this fall, I will have lived with my throat this way for 20 years!! Still remeber driving through Seattle with you, and you drove up on the median curb because you missed the exit. Fun times. Here's to the next 20 years, hope your new mug works out.

    ReplyDelete