Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thoughts on Being a Recovering Fabricholic

Good  heavens!  It has been over a year since I last felt I had something worthwhile to say. The past year has been plagued with more ill health--new ailments keep  popping up and the old ones linger on.  I feel as if all the glue that holds me together is slowly disintegrating.

Comments posted on a sewing and crafting site I visit prompted me to tell about my fabric collection.
 My fabric acquistion dates back to 1953 when my husband bought me my own sewing machine. The desire to buy fabric was fueled by twice living where unique and wonderful fabric was available, in the Orient on the Island of Okinawa, and in the Republic of Panama.  By the time I settled in Montana, I had a LOT of fabric.   After misplacing a piece of fabric and finally finding it, I went through  my entire stash, catalogued each piece on a small card and placed the fabric in numbered storage boxes. 85 boxes later (if anyone wants to know where I store them, just ask), I felt truly organized. 

Yes, I have a true fabric addiction.  My daughters tell me I need to join a support group and my husband does not allow me into a fabric store unless I am on a leash.  I determined a moratorium on purchasing fabric, but Charm pieces (5"x5" squares) assuages my addiction, and besides, they don't really count as yardage.  Browsing through my huge loose-leaf book of catalogued samples usually keeps me from HAVING to go to town for fabric.  I will never get it all sewn, but those girls mentioned above who make fun of me, can have the pleasure of sorting and distributing what remains when I am gone.  At least it is ORGANIZED!!!

Oh yes, by the way, I have a Great Granddaughter who likes to sew.  I have passed on the genes. Tee-hee-hee.

2 comments:

  1. John thinks I have a lot of fabric. (I only have about 6-8 totes full) I just told him how many boxes you have and his eyes bugged out. His comment was..."When she dies, you are not to go anywhere near there." Haha He knows I love fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally, someone admits they could put my stash go good use. The girls will just send it to the D.I. It is going in my will that you and above mentioned GreatGranddaughter (Aysha)get first pick! Tell John to bring the pickup, and clean out the storage room.

      Delete